Prince Harry would be involved in "the fullest range of deployments" if his unit is sent to Iraq, the Ministry of Defense said Monday, but he might be kept out of situations where his presence would jeopardize his comrades.
Harry, the second son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, recently completed his training at Sandhurst military academy and is a second lieutenant in the Household Cavalry.
The Mail on Sunday newspaper, quoting unidentified sources, reported that Harry had threatened to resign from the army if he is held out of combat roles.
It's unclear, however, when the question might arise.
The prince will soon start a five-month training course leading to becoming a platoon commander in an armored reconnaissance role. The Ministry of Defense said Harry's unit, the Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry, will not go to Iraq in the rotation next month, and no date has been set for a possible deployment.
In an interview last year before his 21st birthday, the prince had insisted that he wanted to be like any other soldier.
"There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," Harry said at the time.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>