N. Korea, IAEA to discuss nuclear reactor shutdown

S. Korea pledges to send food aid to North after Pyongyang vows to move forward with agreement to shut down plutonium-producing Yongbyon reactor.

By
June 26, 2007 10:59
2 minute read.
N. Korea, IAEA to discuss nuclear reactor shutdown

Yongbyon 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

UN nuclear monitors arrived in North Korea on Tuesday to discuss the communist nation's plans to fulfill its long-delayed pledge to shut down its main nuclear reactor. International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Olli Heinonen was quoted as saying by Japan's Kyodo News agency that he was optimistic about the five-day visit after arriving in Pyongyang. North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency also confirmed the arrival. Heinonen told reporters in Beijing earlier that the trip would focus on ways to verify that Pyongyang is taking its main reactor off-line. The North Korean government vowed Monday to move forward with a February agreement to shut down its plutonium-producing Yongbyon reactor in exchange for aid, after announcing that a dispute over frozen bank funds that had held up disarmament efforts was now finally over. South Korea responded Tuesday by saying it will start sending promised food aid to North Korea on June 30. The South agreed in April to give the impoverished North 400,000 tons of rice. But the delivery - originally set to begin in late May - was put on hold as Seoul used the food aid as leverage to spur the North to shutter Yongbyon. US Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill said Saturday he believed the shutdown would happen within about three weeks. Hill is the top US nuclear negotiator with the communist regime. However, Heinonen told reporters before departing Beijing that it will be up to North Korea to decide how quickly the facility is shut and sealed. "They are the ones who (will) shut it down and not us so they have to make their own plans. How long it will take is a little bit up to them," Heinonen said. "These are the details we are going to discuss now when we go there." He said Monday he was unsure whether he would have a chance to actually visit the Yongbyon site. Still, the visit fueled optimism that Pyongyang finally was ready to move forward with its disarmament commitments. North Korea, which expelled UN inspectors in late 2002, announced last week that it invited a "working-level delegation" to discuss procedures for shutting down the plutonium-producing facility. North Korea had pledged in February to shut down Yongbyon and IAEA Chief Mohamed ElBaradei traveled to North Korea in March in what was billed as a landmark visit. But Pyongyang refused to act on the promise until it received about US$25 million in funds that were frozen in a Macau bank amid a dispute with the US over alleged money-laundering. On Monday, North Korea announced the banking dispute had been resolved and said it would start implementing the February disarmament accord, in which it promised to shut down its main nuclear facility in exchange for economic and political concessions. US officials have been saying since earlier this month that the financial obstacle had been overcome, but North Korea's statement Monday was the country's first confirmation that the money transfer was finished and the matter was fully wrapped up. South Korea's decision to start shipping food aid was made "in consideration of the request of the public and international community on a humanitarian issue," Unification Minister Lee Jae-joung said at a press conference. Pyongyang has relied on outside handouts to feed its 23 million people since its economy was devastated by natural disasters and mismanagement in the mid-1990s. Lee said that South Korea notified North Korea earlier in the day regarding the decision.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Human rights activists and friends of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi hold his pictures during a pr
October 18, 2018
U.S. gives Saudis 'few more days' on Khashoggi probe; consulate searched

By REUTERS