N.Korea to China: Future nuclear tests hinge on US

By
October 23, 2006 03:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has told a Chinese envoy his country has no immediate plans to conduct another nuclear test but that US policy toward Pyongyang will determine the future, a news report said. Kim made the remarks to Chinese envoy Tang Jiaxuan during talks last week in Pyongyang to discuss the North's first-ever nuclear test on Oct. 9, Kyodo News agency reported Sunday from Beijing, citing unnamed officials familiar with the discussions. Kim told Tang that while there is no plan to hold a second nuclear test for the moment, North Korea would have to respond if the United States continued to pressure the country, according to Kyodo. Officials at China's Foreign Ministry in Beijing had no immediate comment. Japanese Foreign Ministry officials were not available. In Seoul, South Korean nuclear envoy Chun Yung-woo said he had no information on whether North Korea would conduct a second nuclear test, and that there was no indication the North was interested in resuming disarmament talks.

Related Content

People walk past a building one day after air strikes destroyed it in Sanaa, Yemen June 6, 2018.
July 18, 2018
The Damage Of Dammaj: How Sectarian Tensions Fuel ISIS In Yemen

By FELICE FRIEDSON AND JOSHUA A. HOLMES/THE MEDIA LINE