NYC increases transit security after India attacks

By
July 12, 2006 08:29

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

After deadly coordinated attacks on packed commuter rail trains in India, New York City officials upped security measures on the subways, sending hundreds of additional police officers to patrol and conduct random bag searches. The New York Police Department said the measures were precautionary and there had been no specific threat to New York. "We take a terror attack in any place in the world, especially one on a public transport system, as a serious warning," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs the system, also announced increased security on its rail lines, tunnels and bridges and in Grand Central Terminal and Pennsylvania Station. In Washington DC, the Metro service was not increasing police presence because of the Bombay bombings, spokeswoman Cathy Asato said. However, officers were donning high-visibility vests, and announcements urging travelers to be alert for suspicious activity were being played more frequently, she said. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said there were no plans to raise the nation's threat level. "At this time, there is no specific or credible intelligence suggesting an imminent threat to the homeland or our transit systems," he said in a statement.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Protesters with painted faces pray in Cambodia
November 16, 2018
U.N.-Cambodian court convicts two former Khmer Rouge leaders of genocide

By REUTERS