Nairobi: Scores injured in building collapse

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 23, 2006 15:12

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A building collapsed in central Nairobi Monday while more than 280 workers were inside, leaving at least eight people dead, witnesses and construction workers said. More than 50 seriously injured people were rushed to hospitals, medics said. Dozens of rescuers dug into the rubble with their bare hands while the injured were loaded into any available car to be taken to area hospitals. Eight dead bodies were visible at the scene. A hand could be seen waiving for help from under a concrete beam. One of the workers said that 280 men were on the site. Another of the workers, who would not give his name, said an inspector had warned last week that the structure was not safe and they were trying to stabilize the building. Hundreds of bystanders formed lines to carry away chunks of concrete and wooden scaffolding, which a front loader then pushed away from the site.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS