North Korea announces return to nuclear talks

By
November 1, 2006 04:15

North Korea affirmed Wednesday it would return to nuclear disarmament talks to seek a resolution of a US campaign aimed at choking the communist nation's access to foreign banks. Stepping back from further provocative moves after conducting its first-ever nuclear test three weeks ago, the North said it hoped to see a resolution of the financial issue at the resumed six-nation arms talks that it has boycotted for a year. It emphasized that a direct meeting with the US during previously unpublicized negotiations Tuesday in Beijing had made the diplomatic breakthrough possible. On Wednesday, the North's Foreign Ministry said Pyongyang "decided to return to the six-party talks on the premise that the issue of lifting financial sanctions will be discussed and settled between the (North) and the US within the framework of the six-party talks."


Related Content

US President Donald Trump
June 21, 2018
Trump reverses on family separations

By MICHAEL WILNER