Breivik Convoy 311.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
OSLO - A Norwegian police convoy carrying gunman Anders Behring Breivik, who admitted to Friday's mass shootings in Norway, has left an Oslo court house after a custody hearing on Monday, police said.
Prosecutors said they would ask for eight weeks of detention for Breivik at the hearing. That can be extended before trial.
:Media taken to task over rush to judgment on NorwayPeres calls Norway's King; PM: Israel can empathize
The hearing was closed to the media and the judge was expected to write out his conclusion and announce it later on Monday.
Earlier on Monday, Breivik's lawyer said that his client wants to tell
Norway and the world why he killed at least 93 people in a bomb attack
and shooting rampage during the court appearance.
Calling himself a crusader against a tide of Islam in a rambling
1,500-page online manifesto, the 32-year-old mass murderer wants the
opportunity to explain actions he deemed 'atrocious' but 'necessary'.
Breivik has asked to wear a uniform in court, but his lawyer, Geir
Lippestad, said he did not know what type. The killer was dressed as a
policeman during his shooting spree.
His lawyer said it was not clear what sort of uniform he wanted to wear.
Breivik has not served in the armed forces but in some of the pictures
he posted on the Internet before his killing spree he was dressed in a
Lippestad said his client had admitted to Friday's shootings at a Labor
youth camp and an earlier bombing that killed seven people in Oslo's
government district, but that he denies any criminal guilt.
"He has been politically active and found out himself that he did not
succeed with usual political tools and so resorted to violence,"
Lippestad told TV2 news.
"I await a medical assessment of him," he said.