Pakistan army says it killed 41 gunmen in northwest

November 15, 2007 16:45
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Army helicopters and artillery struck pro-Taliban militants in the mountains of northern Pakistan on Thursday, killing at least 41 followers of a rebel cleric, the military said. At least 33 militants died Wednesday in a series of assaults in Swat, a valley about 160 kilometers (100 miles) northwest of the capital, Islamabad, the army said. Army spokesman Maj. Gen. Waheed Arshad had no confirmation of local media reports that about 60 people, including civilians, had died in the army raids. On Thursday, army helicopters hit near the towns of Kabal and Kuza Bande, and the military said it intercepted militant communications that indicated eight rebels were killed. Two army soldiers were killed in a bomb attack on a military convoy Wednesday, according to the police in the area. However, the army said only that eight soldiers were wounded. Troops were also trying to clear a road passing through Alpurai, a town that had reportedly been in the hands of followers of firebrand cleric Maulana Fazlullah since Tuesday. Troops fired artillery and mortars against militants in a mountain gorge near Alpurai and militants were fleeing the town, the army said. Militants on Wednesday fired six mortar rounds at the airport near Mingora, the region's main town, killing two troops and injuring five more, the army said. Fighting has raged in Swat since July when government troops were deployed in response to a call from Fazlullah for his supporters to wage holy war against the government. Although the government has sent even more troops to Swat to curb Fazlullah's activities, a string of towns and villages are still under the control of militants who are demanding the implementation of Taliban-style Islamic laws. Fazlullah, who is on the run from authorities, uses an illegal FM radio station to call for support. The violence in Swat, once a popular tourist destination, has left scores of militants and government forces dead. President Gen. Pervez Musharraf has cited the deteriorating situation to justify the state of emergency he declared on Nov. 3. He said Thursday that the army would soon hit the militants "very hard."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A fighter of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) holds an ISIL flag and a weapon.
May 22, 2019
UN envoy to Iraq calls for international support to prevent IS resurgence