Pentagon mulls plan to cut Europe troops by half

By
July 23, 2007 22:56

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Top Pentagon officials are considering whether they should halt the drawdown of US troops stationed in Europe, a plan that may be outdated because of the war in Iraq and other world developments. A Defense Department official said Monday some defense leaders are studying whether the 2002 plan to cut troops on the continent by nearly half still makes sense today with America's two ongoing wars, worsening relations with Russia and Iran and a recent plan to grow the Army. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about the proposal on the record. The decrease in troops so far - amid repeated deployments to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan by those remaining in Europe - has forced officials to cancel military exercises and other activities with European allies, the official said. The idea of cutting troops from 68,000 in 2001 to 28,000 by 2012 was part of an initiative by former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, part of his plan to transform the military into a leaner, more cost-effective force.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood.
October 18, 2018
Egypt's war on the Muslim Brotherhood

By DIMA ABUMARIA/ THE MEDIA LINE