Presumed Michelangelo sketch previously unknown to experts

By
December 7, 2007 18:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Art experts had not known of the existence of a centuries-old sketch believed to be Michelangelo's work before it was found by chance by a researcher going through the archives of St. Peter's Basilica, a Vatican official said Friday. The existence of the sketch was "up to now unknown," said Maria Cristina Carlo-Stella, who runs the Fabbrica di San Pietro, the office where the archives are kept. A researcher "happened upon this little sketch, which he believes is by the hand of Michelangelo," she told The Associated Press. The discovery was reported Thursday in the Vatican's daily newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, which said the sketch for the dome of the basilica was done for stonecutters working on its construction. The report said it was believed to have been done in 1563, less than a year before Michelangelo's death.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Sudan's President Omar Ahmed al-Bashir looks on during Sudan's Saudi Air Force show during the final
January 17, 2019
Protesters clash with Sudan police in latest anti-Bashir unrest

By REUTERS