An Web site designed to look like a war game set in a Czech village burnt down by Nazis has been pulled from the Internet following a wave of protests, an official said Monday.
The site was removed on Friday, a day after the Lidice village council issued a resolution demanding it be withdrawn, said Milous Cervencl, director of the Lidice Memorial, which sponsored the site.
In its place, the Lidice Memorial posted an apology to "anybody who may have been offended by this campaign, mainly to relatives of the victims of the Lidice tragedy."
The Web site was launched earlier this month with the aim of drawing attention to Lidice, destroyed June 10, 1942, when occupying Nazi forces accused villagers of collaborating with Czech paratroopers who assassinated German Reichsprotector Reinhard Heydrich.
Of Lidice's population of 493, only 143 women and 17 children survived.