Reports: China not optimistic about N. Korea disarmament

Beijing's top nuclear envoy returned from discussions in Pyongyang throwing fresh doubt on a possible breakthrough.

By
October 23, 2006 13:00
3 minute read.
Reports: China not optimistic about N. Korea disarmament

n korea knife 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

China is not optimistic that North Korea will end its nuclear program or re-enter disarmament talks soon, reports said Monday, after Beijing's top nuclear envoy returned from discussions in Pyongyang. The development threw fresh doubt on a possible breakthrough even as diplomats race behind the scenes to defuse tensions and bring nations back to the negotiating table. On Monday, Japanese lawmaker Ichiro Aisawa visited Beijing to meet Chinese leaders and discuss measures following the Oct. 9 nuclear test by the North. After talking with Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei, Aisawa said Beijing has asked both Pyongyang and Washington for flexibility in restarting talks. "Vice Foreign Minister Wu said that at this point, China is not optimistic about the resumption of the six-party talks or that North Korea will abandon its nuclear program," Aisawa was quoted as saying by Kyodo News agency. Public broadcaster NHK reported the same. Wu, who is Beijing's nuclear envoy and chairman of the now-stalled six-party talks on halting North Korea's nuclear program, accompanied China's State Councilor Tang Jiaxuan and Vice Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo on a special mission to Pyongyang last week to deliver a message to North Korean leader Kim Jong Il. The Chinese Foreign Ministry could not immediately confirm Monday's Kyodo report. In Tokyo, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuhisa Shiozaki said the Chinese government had not relayed such views. But he said Japan will closely cooperate with members of the six-party framework to resume talks soon. "What's important is that North Korea should not make more provocative acts, observe the United Nations sanctions and return to the six-party talks unconditionally," Shiozaki said. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe did not comment on the outlook for talks, but praised the Chinese mission to Pyongyang, saying "it's significant that Mr. Tang directly related the concerns of the international community." Aisawa said Wu briefed him "quite frankly" about the meeting with Kim, Japan's NHK said. Aisawa refused to provide details of the talks, the report said. "North Korea has shown some flexibility," Aisawa quoted Wu as telling him at a Beijing press conference broadcast by national broadcaster NHK. "China is also in contact with the United States to see whether it can also be more flexible." Aisawa said Wu was not supportive of possible five-way talks, because that "may give an excuse for North Korea to withdraw from the six-party talks." On Sunday, Kyodo reported that North Korean leader Kim Jong Il told the Chinese mission that Pyongyang has no immediate plans to carry out another nuclear test, but that possible future tests will hinge on U.S. policy toward the country. Kim also complained about U.S. financial sanctions, which have been in place since September 2005, calling them an obstacle to six-way talks, Kyodo said. In Seoul on Sunday, South Korean nuclear envoy Chun Yung-woo said he had no information on whether North Korea would conduct a second nuclear test, and that there was no indication the North was interested in resuming disarmament talks. Kim reiterated that U.S. financial sanctions are the main obstacle and that Pyongyang could return to the talks _ stalled since last November _ if the sanctions are lifted, Kyodo said. Washington says the financial restrictions, imposed in September 2005, are unrelated to the six-party negotiations. The same day, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill was in Hong Kong for talks on North Korean bank accounts in neighboring Macau that were frozen under the U.S. restrictions, according to a spokesman for the U.S. Consulate General. The U.S. banned transactions between Macau-based Banco Delta Asia and American financial institutions in September 2005, characterizing the bank as a "willing pawn for the North Korean government" and alleging that its clients were involved in smuggling and counterfeiting for North Korea.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Chelsea Football
October 19, 2018
Chelsea blows the whistle on antisemitism

By TAMAR BEERI