Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Monday North Korea decided to return to six-party nuclear disarmament talks because of the strong international response to its nuclear test last month.
"North Korea is now responding to the international community's resolve," Rice said in an interview with Fox News.
The UN Security Council imposed sanctions against North Korea following missile tests in July and a nuclear test in October.
As a result, Rice said she assumes North Korea will refrain from future testing.
She noted that two senior US officials are in East Asia this week to lay the groundwork for the upcoming six-party talks, which will be held in either November or December.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>