Rice, al-Maliki avoid each other as tension rises over US security firm

By
September 23, 2007 03:23

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki kept a polite distance as they attended a group meeting and avoided discussion of a Baghdad shootout involving guards from a US company protecting American diplomats. With tensions soaring over the September 16 incident, Rice and al-Maliki chose not to speak directly at a United Nations gathering Saturday at which they were among senior diplomats and officials from Iraq's neighbors, including Iran and Syria, weighing future assistance to Iraq. Neither Rice nor al-Maliki brought up the matter in the broader talks, according to David Satterfield, the US State Department's coordinator for Iraq, who said testily that the two also did not meet separately on the sidelines and that the incident had not been on the agenda. It was not immediately clear when the last time Rice and al-Maliki have been in such close proximity and not spoken face-to-face. Satterfield told reporters after the meeting that Rice had already spoken by phone with al-Maliki about the matter.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS