Human rights campaigners launched an appeal Tuesday for European Union nations to take legal action against dozens of Rwandans genocide suspects believed to be still at large in Europe 13 years after the 1994 massacres.
They cited Rwandan government estimates that 37 suspected perpetrators of the genocide are resident in Europe.
"Governments have an obligation to investigate these allegations and where sufficient evidence exits to bring these persons to justice," said a statement by the International Federation of Human Rights and the London-based anti-torture organization REDRESS.
Representatives of the rights groups said efforts to bring suspects to justice had been hampered by legal technicalities, official indifference and political interference. France was singled out for particular criticism.