S. Korea: N.Korea has proposed plan to disarm

By
November 14, 2005 05:28
1 minute read.

North Korea proposed a five-step plan to abandon its nuclear weapons programs at the latest round of disarmament talks that ended last week, a South Korean Cabinet official responsible for ties with the communist nation said Monday. Under the plan, North Korea said it would first halt plans for any nuclear tests, and agree not to transfer any nuclear technology or materials to other nations, Unification Minister Chung Dong-young told journalists in Seoul. The North would agree to not produce more weapons, then suspend and later dismantle its nuclear program, subject to verification, Chung said. Finally, the North would rejoin the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and safeguards under the International Atomic Energy Agency, Chung said.


Related Content

May 26, 2018
Ireland set to end abortion ban as exit polls signal landslide vote

By REUTERS