S. Korea: US offered direct talks to N. Korea

By
September 13, 2006 10:45

South Korea's vice foreign minister confirmed on Wednesday news reports that the United States recently offered to hold one-on-one talks with North Korea. News agencies reported Tuesday that the chief US nuclear envoy, Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, proposed a meeting with his North Korean counterpart, Kim Kye Gwan, during a recent stop in China but that the North rejected it. "I understand that Assistant Secretary Hill made such a gesture on his own initiative in an effort to resume" six-nation talks on the North's nuclear program, South Korean Vice Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan told a news briefing. But Yu said Hill's proposed meeting would have been held under the framework of the multilateral nuclear talks. North Korea has demanded direct talks with the US, but Washington has previously refused, saying it would only speak to the North in a multilateral framework.


Related Content

Haredi soldier
June 18, 2018
Liberman: Haredi draft bill must pass unchanged

By GIL HOFFMAN