Saudi prince rejects reports he received British arms deal money

By
June 7, 2007 22:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Saudi prince received millions of pounds for his own use as part of Britain's largest arms deal, the British Broadcasting Corp. said. In a program to be broadcast on Monday, the BBC reports that the payments went to Prince Bandar bin Sultan, who negotiated the 40 billion-pound (€60 billion; US$80 billion) Al-Yamamah arms deal to sell 100 warplanes in 1985, when Margaret Thatcher was prime minister. In a separate report, the Guardian newspaper alleged Prince Bandar was paid about 1 billion pounds (US$2 billion; €1.5 billion) over 10 years. The newspaper, citing unnamed legal sources, said the payments were authorized by the Ministry of Defense. It added that the payments had been characterized as fees for marketing services. BAE Systems, the prime contractor, has denied that it ever violated British law in relation to the contract. Prince Bandar issued a statement Thursday "categorically denying" having received any "improper secret commissions or back handers" over the arms deal.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Blue Tilapia
November 21, 2018
Study shows tropical fish able to adapt body temperature by environment

By YAFIT OVADIA