Spanish Sup. Court throws out Al Qaida convictions

By
April 8, 2006 01:12

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Spain's Supreme Court on Friday threw out the convictions of three men found guilty last year of being part of al-Qaida after prosecutors agreed there was not sufficient evidence to jail them, a court official said. The men - Driss Chebli, Sadik Merizak and Abdelaziz Benyaich - had received sentences of between six and eight years for collaboration with an al-Qaida-linked terror group. They were among 18 people convicted in a high-profile trial last year linked to the Sept. 11 attacks. Prosecutors this week argued there was not sufficient evidence to jail the three and the Supreme Court agreed, said the court official, who was speaking on condition of anonymity because his office's ground rules prohibit him from being identified. The court was hearing appeals by all 18.

Related Content

August 16, 2018
'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin dies at home in Detroit aged 76

By REUTERS