Suicide bomber costume creates false bomb scare

By
November 2, 2006 19:27
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A police bomb squad raced across Norway by helicopter Thursday to investigate a mysterious, wired package that turned out to be a discarded Halloween prop left behind by a young man who had dressed up as a suicide bomber. The package, with wires sticking out of it, was found at about 9:00 a.m. on a car parked outside the Alrek student dormitory in Bergen, Norway's second largest city, said Asbjoern Andersen of the Bergen police. The car's owner had no idea what the package was, so police evacuated the dormitory and the surrounding area. Then they summoned bomb experts from Oslo, who flew 300 kilometers (185 miles) by helicopter to assess the threat. "We really had no choice," Andersen said about bringing in experts from the capital. "We don't have the expertise (on bombs) because that is concentrated in Oslo." The fake bomb made national news. The young man who made the fake device for a Halloween party and later left it behind heard one of the newscasts and phoned the police. "He did not intend for it to be a bomb threat," said Andersen. "He dressed up as a suicide bomber for Halloween, and called us immediately when he realized the 'device' was his." The call came more than four hours after the area was evacuated. Andersen said the prankster, whose name was withheld, had been questioned by police, but it was too early to say what action, if any, might be taken against him.

Related Content

U.S. President Donald Trump and Russia's President Vladimir Putin shake hands they meet in Helsinki
July 16, 2018
Trump kowtows to Putin in Helsinki

By MICHAEL WILNER