Terror charges against Indian doctor dropped

Australian prosecutor drops terror charges against man accused of supporting last month's failed bomb attacks on London and Glasgow.

By
July 27, 2007 10:04
1 minute read.
Terror charges against Indian doctor dropped

glasgow crash 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Australia's top prosecutor on Friday dropped a terror charge against an Indian doctor accused of supporting last month's failed bomb attacks on London and Glasgow, Scotland. The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions Damian Bugg withdrew the charge against Mohamed Haneef in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday. Bugg told reporters in Canberra that he ordered the charges withdrawn because he was satisfied "there was no reasonable prospect of conviction." Haneef, 27, had been charged with supporting a terrorist organization because he gave his mobile phone SIM card to a second cousin, Sabeel Ahmed, in July last year. Haneef, who moved to Australia from Britain last year, has been held in the eastern city of Brisbane since July 2 when he was arrested at the international airport as he was about to fly to India. A court ordered Haneef's release on bail last week but Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews kept him in prison by canceling his visa on character grounds, based on information provided by the federal police. Because he has no visa to remain in Australia, Haneef may have to remain in custody while he appeals the immigration minister's decision. That case is due before a court on Aug. 8. Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty told reporters in Canberra he would not revise his advice to the minister, who has said he stands by his decision to withdraw Haneef's visa. Andrews was expected to give a press conference later Friday. In Britain, Ahmed, 26, has been charged with withholding information that could prevent an act of terrorism. His brother, Kafeel Ahmed, is believed to have set himself ablaze after crashing into Glasgow Airport and remains in a Scottish hospital with critical burns.

Related Content

A child walks around a fake tank parked outside the US embassy
August 20, 2018
Amnesty International concerned over arms supplied to Israel, Saudi Arabia

By ANNA AHRONHEIM