A top NATO general declared an offensive aimed at driving Taliban militants out of safe havens in southern Kandahar district a success, but suicide bombings and other violence continued against international forces in Afghanistan.
Suicide bombers attacked Canadian and US troops in separate incidents Sunday, killing two civilians and wounding six soldiers, and militants in the south took control over a district in western Afghanistn after chasing away the police.
Lt. Gen. David Richards, head of the 20,000 NATO-led force in Afghanistan, said on Sunday the insurgents had been forced to abandon their positions.
He said the insurgents had "suffered significant casualties" and "had no choice but to leave."
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>