Top US general: N. Korea remains a military threat

But Gen. B.B. Bell says he's hopeful Pyongyang will fulfill its denuclearization commitments.

By
July 2, 2007 04:34
1 minute read.
Top US general: N. Korea remains a military threat

B.B. Bell 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The top US military commander in South Korea welcomed moves by North Korea to fulfill its denuclearization commitments, but said Monday that the country remains a military threat. "We are all very hopeful that the North Koreans will live up to the agreement they have made," US Gen. B.B. Bell told reporters at the National Press Club, referring to a February accord the communist country reached with five other countries, including the United States. North Korea last week said it would move to carry out its promise in a February accord with China, Japan, Russia, South Korea and the US to shut down and seal its Yongbyon nuclear reactor. Pyongyang also allowed inspectors from the UN nuclear watchdog to visit the facility. However, Bell added that the communist country retains the capability to attack Seoul with conventional artillery and special forces. "This is a very real threat which cannot be ignored," he said. Bell also called North Korea's recent missile tests a threat to South Korea. Last week, North Korea fired three short-range surface-to-surface missiles that landed in its territorial waters, US Defense Department officials said, the third time in a month that the North test-fired a short-range missile, following launches on May 25 and June 7. "What I find very disturbing is that the North continues to test advanced short range missiles," Bell said. "These are designed to be used on this peninsula," he said, adding that they have enough range not only to threaten Seoul - near the border with North Korea - but other cities as well. "These were not failure missile tests," Bell said. "They were successful missile tests." Bell said he did not know why North Korea continues to conduct such missile launches, and questioned why the country chose to do so last week while the International Atomic Energy Agency officials were visiting the country. "I can't gauge Kim Jong Ils's intent and I won't try to," Bell said, referring to North Korea's leader. "I will tell you we are ready and capable. And we will stay ready and capable." The United States stations 29,500 US troops in South Korea as a deterrent against nuclear-armed, communist North Korea. The presence is a legacy of the Korean War, which ended in a 1953 cease-fire that has never been replaced by a peace treaty.

Related Content

August 14, 2018
Italy motorway bridge collapses in heavy rains, 'dozens' feared dead

By REUTERS