Trial starts for suspect in false subway bomb plot in NYC

By
October 26, 2007 23:04

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A jeweler, apparently seeking revenge against former business associates, went on trial Monday for falsely reporting that five Arabs were plotting to bomb New York subways on the Fourth of July last year. The hoax by Rimon Alkatri, a native of Syria living in Brooklyn, caused "an intensive and widespread investigation" that stretched to the Mideast and involved the men he had named, Assistant District Attorney Barry Ginsberg said. Alkatri told investigators that the plotters were five Syrians working in the jewelry business, Ginsberg said. The names turned out to be those of five business associates with whom Alkatri had disputes, he said. Ginsberg told the state Supreme Court jury in opening remarks that Alkatri knew his report of an impending explosion in a mass transit facility resulting from a plot by five men was "false and baseless."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Bill Cosby
September 25, 2018
Bill Cosby sentenced to 3-10 years in prison for sexual assault

By REUTERS