UK teacher arrives home from Sudan after being pardoned in teddy case

December 3, 2007 11:50
2 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services1. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A British teacher jailed for letting her students name a teddy bear Muhammad as part of a writing project arrived home Tuesday after being pardoned - ending a case that set off an international outcry and angered many moderate Muslims. Gillian Gibbons' flight arrived at London's Heathrow Airport shortly after 7 a.m. (0700 GMT). "I'm just an ordinary middle-aged primary school teacher. I went out there to have an adventure, and got a bit more than I bargained for," she said at a brief news conference. "I don't think anyone could have imagined it would snowball like this." Gibbons, 54, jailed for more than a week, was freed Monday after two Muslim members of Britain's House of Lords met with Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and the teacher sent the president a statement saying she did not mean any offense. "I'm very glad to be back, and I'm a little shocked about all the media attention that I've been getting. I'm looking forward to seeing my family and friends and to have a good rest, and I'm hoping that you'll give me space in order to do that," she said in a statement she read to reporters. "It has been an ordeal but I'd like want you to know that I was well-treated in prison and everybody was very kind to me. "I was very sorry to leave Sudan. I had a fabulous time there. It's a really lovely place, and I managed to see some of the beautiful countryside while I was there. She said she found the Sudanese people to be extremely kind and generous, and until her jailing had only had a good experience. "I wouldn't like it to put anyone off going to Sudan - in fact I know of a lovely school that needs a new Year Two teacher," she added. Gibbons left Sudan Monday night, flying via Dubai to London. Her son John and daughter Jessica went to the airport from their homes in Liverpool. "I'd like to thank the government for all they have done, the hard work behind the scenes, especially the two peers who went out there. Everyone's been really great," John Gibbons said. Gibbons smiled broadly as she was hugged by her son, and jokingly said to him, "That's enough affection for one day." Al-Bashir insisted Gibbons had a fair trial, in which she was convicted of insulting Islam's Prophet Muhammad and sentenced to 15 days in prison, but the president agreed to pardon her during the meeting with the British delegation, said Ghazi Saladdin, a senior presidential adviser. Gibbons was cautious about answering questions. When asked her feelings about the offense she was accused of, she said: "I don't think I really know enough about it to comment really. It's a very difficult area and a very delicate area." She added, "I was very upset to think that I might have caused offense to people." Gibbons said she learned of the intense media coverage of the story on her second day in prison. Asked if she was terrified of prison, she said, "That's an understatement." "I was in two different prisons," she added. I never actually went to the main women's prison, thankfully. The first one I was at was just like a downtown prison - like a lockup. I was treated the same as any other Sudanese prisoner in that you were given the bare minimum. "Then I was moved to another prison and there the Ministry of the Interior sent me a bed. which is possibly the best present I've ever had."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

May 26, 2019
Azerbaijan rejects safety concerns by Arsenal's Armenian midfielder