UK 'very concerned' over Lebanon, Gaza

British condemn Lebanon and Israel for border violence.

By JONNY PAUL
August 4, 2010 12:48
2 minute read.
Smoke rises from the southern border village of Adaisseh after an exchange of fire between Israeli a

Israel Lebanon clash. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The British government declared it was “very concerned” with recent rocket fire from Gaza into Israel and condemned Israel and Lebanon for the escalation of hostilities on the Israel-Lebanon border on Tuesday.

“We are very concerned by the recent rocket fire on towns in southern Israel, continuing violence in Gaza and today's violence on the Israeli-Lebanon border, all of which underline the importance, for the region as a whole, of all parties committing to a lasting peace,” a Foreign Office spokesman said on Tuesday. “We condemn the violence today that led to deaths on both sides and call on Israel and Lebanon to act with restraint.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
David Cameron looking both ways
Mofaz: Incident was terror attack
PM: Lebanon responsible for border clash

Calling for Israel and the Palestinians to resume direct negotiations, the Foreign Office said that both sides should refrain from “violence” and “settlement construction.”

“Against this backdrop a move to substantial talks by the Israelis and Palestinians is essential; we encourage both parties to engage on the core issues as quickly as possible, and refrain from action that damages the process, in particular acts of violence, settlement construction or other provocations,” the spokesman said.

Following Prime Minister David Cameron’s comments in Turkey last month – in which he condemned Israel over the Gaza flotilla incident – the British government said it welcomed the establishment of a UN inquiry calling for Israel and Turkey to participate.

“We welcome the UN Secretary-General’s establishment of a panel of inquiry into the interception of the Gaza flotilla on 31 May, and both Israel and Turkey’s commitment to participate. The panel has an important role to play in investigating and resolving the dispute over the flotilla and preventing future recurrence. It is also vital that the existing national investigations proceed swiftly, transparently and rigorously to ensure full accountability,” the Foreign Office said.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Last month, Cameron used a visit to Turkey to equate Gaza to a “prison camp” and condemn Israel for its response to the Gaza flotilla incident.

“The Israeli attack on the Gaza flotilla was completely unacceptable and I have told Prime Minister [Benjamin] Netanyahu, we will expect the Israeli inquiry to be swift, transparent and rigorous,” Cameron said during his visit.

“Let me also be clear that the situation in Gaza has to change. Humanitarian goods and people must flow in both directions. Gaza cannot and must not be allowed to remain a prison camp,” he told the Turkish parliament.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci speaks during interview in Pristina, Kosovo August 14, 2018
September 21, 2018
Kosovo will open embassy in Jerusalem if recognized, president says

By CASSANDRA GOMES-HOCHBERG