UN dept. head asks to speed up 'corruption' probe

By
January 11, 2007 02:30

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The UN's undersecretary-general for economic and social affairs said he has asked UN investigators to "speed up" their report on alleged corruption in his department. Jose Antonio Ocampo was pummeled with questions from reporters on Wednesday over a range of recent allegations which include a misuse of funds by his office. The allegations are being investigated by the Office of Internal Oversight Services, the UN's internal watchdog known as OIOS, and Ocampo said "I've actually been asking OIOS to speed up" its report. Last month, the Washington Times reported that former and current staff members of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs said the office "has for years been steering millions of dollars in contributions from the Italian government toward projects that enrich Italian nationals but offer little of real value."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS