US checking Iraq lawmaker's part in Kuwait attack

By
February 6, 2007 20:20

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

US officials are investigating allegations that an Iraqi lawmaker took part in the 1983 bombing of the US and French embassies in Kuwait and is a conduit for Iranian weapons and supplies smuggled to Shi'ite militias, a US spokesman said Tuesday. Jamal Jaafar Mohammed, who was elected to parliament in December 2005 on the Shi'ite ticket, was sentenced to death in Kuwait years ago for his role in the bombings, in which five people were killed and 86 injured, but fled to Iran, CNN reported. He returned to Iraq after the fall of Saddam Hussein, but has not attended any legislative sessions since last year and is believed to be in Iran, Shi'ite lawmakers said. CNN said US military intelligence in Iraq believes Mohammed helps Iranian special forces in Iraq as "a conduit for weapons and political influence."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Sen. Marco Rubio speaks with reporters in Washington in July
December 9, 2018
Rubio: Trump pardon of former campaign chair Manafort 'terrible mistake'

By REUTERS