The US ambassador to Afghanistan said Friday that the alleged burning of two dead Taliban fighters by American soldiers did not reflect American values and promised a prompt investigation, as the White House worked to reduce the damage to the US image abroad.
Neumann emphasized the Pentagon would promptly investigate the report that surfaced Wednesday when an Australian television network aired video purportedly showing US soldiers scorching the corpses of two Taliban fighters in the hills near the former Taliban stronghold of Kandahar.
The SBS Australian network said the footage was taken on Oct. 1. by a freelance journalist, Stephen Dupont, who told The Associated Press he was embedded with the 173rd Airborne Brigade of the US Army earlier this month.
In the footage, which was seen by the AP, two soldiers who spoke with American accents later read taunting messages that the SBS said were broadcast to the village, which was believed to be harboring Taliban soldiers.
Dupont said the soldiers responsible for the taunting messages were part of a US Army psychological operations unit.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>