US lawmakers subpoena DoD for Abu Ghraib info

By
July 6, 2006 04:29
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Lawmakers have issued a subpoena seeking Defense Department information on a soldier who says he suffered retaliation for reporting abuses at Abu Ghraib prison. The subpoena from the House Committee on Government Reform seeks all communications relating to information provided by Army Spc. Samuel Provance about the Iraq prison, where US mistreatment of detainees caused an international uproar. It also seeks information on the interrogation of an Iraqi officer there, identified by Provance as Gen. Hamid Zabar. Provance had helped interrogate Zabar's 16-year-old son and was later told the boy had been captured and abused to compel the general to give information, Provance said in testimony prepared for Congress. The subpoena, issued Friday before the long holiday weekend, was necessary because lawmakers got no response from a March 7 letter to Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld requesting the information, said a statement from Rep. Christopher Shays, chairman of the panel's national security subcommittee. "If the department won't even return a call, after three months ... we really have no choice but to subpoena the material and compel their attention to our request," added committee chairman Rep. Tom Davis of Virginia, who signed the subpoena. Defense Department spokesman Lt. Col. Mark Ballesteros said Wednesday the Pentagon already has turned over much of this information to the House Armed Services Committee and given Davis' committee many of the documents. The documents are "responsive in the matter under discussion," Ballesteros said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Stutthof concentration camp, Poland
December 15, 2018
Trial postponed for former Stutthof Nazi SS guard due to health concerns

By MARCY OSTER/JTA