US rejects N. Korea's demand for aid

Nuclear talks fail; Pyongyang refuses to disarm without compensation.

By
November 11, 2005 12:50
3 minute read.
US rejects N. Korea's demand for aid

n. korea nuke plant 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The United States rejected North Korea's demand for aid in exchange for suspending nuclear development during disarmament talks this week, the US envoy said as negotiations ended Friday with no word of progress or a firm date to meet again. The North's negotiating partners also agreed that its demand to be given a civilian nuclear reactor shouldn't be discussed until it has dismantled its atomic programs, said US Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill. "We're not prepared to make a separate agreement for them to freeze programs," Hill told reporters. "We don't want to get into a situation where they stop the programs, in short, freeze the programs, and then expect us to compensate them for a freeze." The talks ended amid rancor, with the United States pressing the North to stop work at a plutonium-producing reactor and the North demanding that Washington lift sanctions imposed on eight North Korean companies accused of weapons proliferation. "These kind of sanctions are in violation of the joint statement we have adopted and are going to hinder the implementation of the commitment we have made," said the North Korean envoy, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Gye Gwan. The other participants are China, South Korea, Japan and Russia. This week's round of talks, the fifth in a series, began Wednesday and had been scheduled to recess after three days to let diplomats attend an Asian-Pacific economic conference in South Korea. A released statement said diplomats agreed to meet again at the earliest possible date. But the South Korean envoy, Deputy Foreign Minister Song Min-soon, warned that might not be until next year due to scheduling conflicts in December with a regional Asian meeting and the Christmas holiday. "There was an assessment that it will be a little bit difficult to hold tangible meetings," Song said. Pyongyang refuses to disarm completely without receiving compensation along the way. But the United States says it won't reward the North until the programs are completely and irreversibly dismantled. Song appeared to support the North's demand to be compensated for interim steps, saying the suspension of work at its reactor should be followed by a "corresponding step." He didn't elaborate. Hill said the other five governments agreed they shouldn't discuss North Korea's demand for the civilian light-water reactor for power generation until after its nuclear programs are dismantled.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Members of the Taliban in Pakistan
November 14, 2018
Thousands flee as Taliban attack Afghanistan's 'safe' districts

By REUTERS