US transfers prisoners to new Guantanamo prison

By
December 8, 2006 07:13

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The US military has begun transferring detainees to a new, high-security prison at Guantanamo Bay and will close one of the first detention camps built to hold men swept up in the war on terrorism. The first 42 prisoners assigned to the US$37 million (€28 million) facility arrived Thursday morning, said Navy Cmdr. Robert Durand, a spokesman for detention operations at the remote US naval base in eastern Cuba. The detainees were moved from Camp 3, which opened in 2002 with walls of thick-gauge, chain-link metal. The others inside that prison were transferred to other camps, allowing it to close, Durand said. Other old camps will remain open.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER