Floods and landslides triggered by Typhoon Lekima, which battered Vietnam's central coast last week, claimed at least 32 lives and left 16 more missing, and a disaster official warned the death toll could rise.
Nine bodies were recovered Saturday in the worst-hit central province of Nghe An, said provincial disaster official Tran Gia Danh.
Three more deaths reported in three northern provinces and confirmed reports of three people drowning in the central province of Quang Binh raised the overall death toll to 32, disaster officials said.
"This is the worst flood to hit our province since 1988" Danh said. "We expect the death toll from flooding in the province to rise as communication with some villages remains disrupted."
Sixteen more people remained missing in Lekima's aftermath, and at least 100 more were injured, disaster officials said.