'We didn't endorse UN flotilla probe'

Obama administration officials deny 'Weekly Standard' report.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 11, 2010 21:20
1 minute read.
Censored images of Shayetet soldier beaten.

wounded soldier 311. (photo credit: Hurriet)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

US officials on Friday denied reports that the Obama administration plans to support the establishment of an international UN-monitored commission to investigate last week's flotilla raid.

“We know of no resolution that will be debated at the UN on the flotilla investigation next week," one senior administration official told The Jerusalem Post. He stressed that Washington continues to support "an Israeli-led investigation into the flotilla incident that is prompt, credible, impartial, and transparent."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Ya'alon: Probe of navy tactics needed
Opinion: The PR battle is a marathon, not a sprint
MKs won't call for state inquiry into Gaza flotilla
Opinion: Israel, disarmed

The official added, “We are open to different ways of ensuring the credibility of this Israeli-led investigation, including international participation, and have been in intensive talks with our Israeli partners in the past few days on how to move forward."

'Susan Rice supports UN-mandated investigation'

Earlier Friday, the US Weekly Standard reported that senior officials in Washington had been informing world leaders of the US government's support of the investigation.

One official was quoted as saying that while US ambassador to the UN Susan Rice was speaking out in support of an international UN-mandated investigation, ultimately the decision would have to be made by US President Barack Obama.




On Tuesday, a panel of military experts – set up by Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi – began investigating the flotilla operation.

If Israel is able to get the US, as well as countries like France and Germany, to back the type of probe being set up within Israel, diplomatic officials said, it would be able to deflect calls – including those coming from Turkey – for an international investigation.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and his inner cabinet, a forum known as the “septet,” have reportedly agreed on the establishment of an Israeli committee made up of jurists and diplomats who would probe the legality of the blockade on Gaza, as well as the manner in which Israel prevented the flotilla from reaching the territory.

Related Content

Rashida Tlaib on interview about Arab-Israeli Conflict (August 13, 2018).
August 17, 2018
J Street cancels endorsement from House candidate for 'one state solution'

By MICHAEL WILNER