Wikileaks founder: 'Obama stifles freedom of the press'

Ecuador's deputy FM: We are ready to give Assange asylum with no conditions; US launching criminal investigation into possible espionage.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 30, 2010 09:50
2 minute read.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange

Wikileaks Julian Assange 311 AP. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange said in a video that US President Barack Obama's administration "doesn't believe in freedom of the press and doesn't act like it believes it," UK paper The Telegraph reported on Tuesday.

He also said that the US government has a history of arresting whistle-blowers.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Clinton: WikiLeaks documents confirm Iran concerns
WikiLeaks: Burying linkage between peace process, Iran

Assange did not address the assertion that has risked lives by releasing confidential diplomatic cables, saying only that the Obama administration was trying to make it impossible to publish information responsibly.

The comments were made in a video recorded on a cell phone in Assange's London hiding place and sent to The Telegraph.

Click here for full Jpost coverage of the latest Wikileaks

Ecuador on Monday offered WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange residency in the South American country.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Speaking to the Internet site Ecuadorinmediato, Ecuadorian Deputy Foreign Minister Kinto Lucas said, "We are ready to give him residence in Ecuador, with no problems and no conditions."

Lucas added, "We are going to invite him to come to Ecuador so he can freely present the information he possesses and all the documentation, not just on the Internet, but in various public forums."

However, the deputy foreign minister also expressed some concern about the mass of documents WikiLeaks is in the middle of releasing. He said the release of diplomatic documents "really concerns us greatly."

The Washington Post on Monday quoted sources familiar with the investigation as saying that Assange and others involved with WikiLeaks could be charged under the US's Espionage Act.

Earlier Monday, US Attorney General Eric Holder said his government was mounting a criminal investigation.

"This is not saber-rattling," Holder said. Anyone found to have broken American law "will be held responsible."

Holder said the latest disclosure, involving classified and sensitive State Department documents, jeopardized the security of the nation, its diplomats, intelligence assets and relationships with foreign governments.

Former CIA general counsel Jeffrey Smith told the Washington Post, he is "confident that the [US] Justice Department is figuring out how to prosecute him."

Assange, an Australian citizen, was denied permanent residency in Sweden last month, where he is facing a rape charge. On Wednesday, a Swedish appeals court upheld a court order to detain Assange in connection to the rape and sexual molestation charges.

The 39-year-old Australian, who denies the accusations, had appealed a lower court order allowing investigators to bring him into custody and issue an international arrest warrant.

The Svea Appeals court on Wednesday rejected his appeal.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Agur Winery
September 20, 2018
Patriotism, prophecy and refuge: Zionism in a bottle

By JPOST.COM STAFF