Yemen editor: Cartoon verdict unjust

Tells Post right to print Muhammed drawings is "battle for our society."

By
December 8, 2006 00:34
2 minute read.
cartoondenmarkprotest88

cartoondenmarkprotest88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Yemeni editor convicted of "insulting Islam" for reprinting Danish cartoons depicting Muhammad has denounced the verdict against him, telling `The Jerusalem Post that basic rights in his country such as freedom of expression and freedom of the press are at stake. Muhammad al-Asaadi, editor-in-chief of the Yemen Observer, was found guilty by a Yemeni court on Wednesday and ordered to pay a fine of half a million riyals ($2,500). He was arrested on February 11, just days after his newspaper had published the cartoons, which originally appeared last September in the Copenhagen daily Jyllands Posten. The caricatures, which included one that portrayed the founder of Islam with a bomb in his turban, sparked riots and violent protests by Muslims in Europe, Asia and elsewhere. Speaking by phone from his office in Sanaa, the Yemeni capital, Asaadi told the Post that the verdict against him was unfair. "We published the cartoons with an 'X' mark over them to protest their content," he noted. "But the judge and the prosecutor were concerned about the image and not the context in which they appeared." "The verdict is harsh, intolerant and unjust, and it has purely political motives behind it," he said. He plans to file an appeal. A devout Muslim, Asaadi pointed out that the reprint of the cartoons had been accompanied by two articles denouncing them. He did this, he said, to explain to his largely foreign readership why the depiction of Muhammad was deemed offensive to many Muslims. "This is not just about my case," he said. "It is a sign of the deterioration of the freedom of press in this country. The government is trying to assert control over everything that is published here." On November 26, another Yemeni journalist, Kamal al-Aalafi, editor-in-chief of the Arabic-language weekly Al-Rai Al-Aam, was sentenced to a year in prison for reprinting the cartoons. Two other Yemeni journalists, Abdulkarim Sabra, managing editor of Al-Hurriya Ahliya, and Yehiya al-Abed, a reporter for the newspaper, are currently on trial facing similar charges. "If the past two years were among the worst for freedom of the press in Yemen," Asaadi said, "2006 has surpassed them." Asked if he is concerned for his safety in the wake of the verdict, Asaadi paused before answering. "Yes, I have started to worry about my situation and that of my family." "The verdict opens up the door for radicals to take the laws into their own hands," he said, as they might view the punishment imposed on him as being too lenient. "This is not just my fight" he declared, adding, "It is a battle for our society. We need to establish values such as a free press and freedom of expression." "A real democracy is one that is really built on this freedom," he said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER