Two Iranians detained by US forces in Iraq were senior members of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards and had coordinated attacks against coalition troops and Iraqi civilians, the head of an Iranian opposition group said.
The White House said earlier this week that US troops had caught a group of Iranians in a raid on suspected insurgents in Iraq. Two of the men had diplomatic immunity and were released to Iran, but the other two were kept in custody.
Maryam Rajavi, who heads the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), an anti-regime umbrella group based in Paris, said Thursday that the two men being held were senior members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' Qods force and were responsible for sectarian attacks in Iraq.
She cited the group's intelligence officials as the source of the information.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>