Gates: US has a plan for Iran

Denies writing "wake-up call" memo to Obama administration.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
April 19, 2010 07:39
1 minute read.
Robert Gates

Gates points 311. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

American Defense Secretary Robert Gates asserted that the US is prepared to take a range of actions against the Iranian nuclear program, and told friends and foes on Sunday not to fall for any perception Iran can catch Washington off guard.

Gates said a memo he wrote in January identified steps to be taken in defense planning after the Obama administration decided to increase pressure against Iran's nuclear ambitions.

It was not, he insisted, a "wake-up call" that set off a scramble by an unprepared government, as was suggested by sources who disclosed the memo's existence to The New York Times.

Even so, it's clear administration planning is very much in motion.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a speech Sunday at Columbia University that Iran "has been a great focus for years, not months" and "the military option has been on the table and remains on the table." Yet, he added: "The diplomatic, the engagement piece, the sanctions piece — all those things, from my perspective, need to be addressed."


Gates released a statement saying his memo to the White House merely laid out an orderly and timely decision-making process as various agencies work together to make policy on Iran in the months ahead. "There should be no confusion by our allies and adversaries that the United States is properly and energetically focused on this question and prepared to act across a broad range of contingencies in support of our interests."

President Barack Obama has been pushing for tougher international sanctions and has increased military activity in the region since Iran spurned his offer to come to the table by the end of last year, to resolve concerns about Iran's accelerated nuclear development. Obama and other administration figures have vowed Iran will not be allowed to become a nuclear state but have not said what the US would do if Iran gained the ability to produce a weapon.

Republican Sen. John McCain has complained that the administration has not put tough action behind its talk. He said Sunday he did not need a secret memo to convince him the U.S. lacks an effective Iranian policy.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB