Germany charges embargo violators

Two men tried to export equipment for Iranian missile program.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 19, 2010 13:36
1 minute read.
The members of the U.N. Security Council vote on s

Iran sanctions 311. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

German federal prosecutors say they have charged two men with violating an arms embargo by working to export equipment that Iran wanted for its missile program.

The federal prosecutor's office said Thursday that 65-year-old German Heinz Ulrich K. was charged with breaking export laws and 52-year-old Iranian Mohsen A. with incitement to break them.

RELATED:
US: Swiss-Iran gas deal sends 'wrong message'
Despite US pressure, Merkel unlikely to close Iran bank
Analysis: Germany's chance to get serious on sanctions

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


It said the two men are suspected of having exported a vacuum sintering furnace worth $1.1 million to Iran in July 2007 although that type of equipment had been covered since April 2007 by an arms embargo against Iran.

Prosecutors already had charged Mohsen A. together with a third man, Dr. Behzad S., over the same deal earlier this year but now say the charges have been expanded.

Earlier this week, the German chapter of Stop the Bomb slammed Germany’s government and industry for rewarding “the [Islamic] regime’s rampant terror against the Iranian freedom movement.” It alleged that economic statistics indicated Germany continued to increase its trade in recent months with Iran.

A German TV program reported last week that German factories had made motors for Iranian UAV’s with attack capabilities also capable of reaching Israel.

German weekly Der Spiegel has reported that in June, customs at Frankfurt airport found a delivery of Siemens AG equipment that was headed to Iran. The switches, components and computer modules, manufactured by the German engineering giant, were allegedly headed for Moscow, and from there would be sent to the nuclear reactor at Bushehr, despite EU sanctions on Iran.

Benjamin Weinthal and JPost.com staff contributed to this report.

Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB