Iran's Foreign Ministry on Sunday called a threat of international sanctions a "rusty" weapon and said the country would not abandon uranium enrichment.
"Both officials and people in Iran have always viewed threats for sanctions as a rusty and derelict weapon," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said at a weekly news briefing. "They are accustomed to the threats."
Although he reiterated Iran's determination to continue with uranium enrichment, Hosseini said "negotiation is the best way."
Hosseini said European-Iranian negotiations, which had been seen as a final attempt to avoid a full-blown confrontation between Tehran and the Security Council, would be resumed but did not give specifics.