Iranian authorities on Wednesday said that one of the two kidnapped Belgian tourists had been released, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.
The couple, 27 and 30 years old, went missing outside the historical town of Bam in southeastern Iran, in a region known for the kidnapping of Western tourists.
"The woman, named Carla, was freed from the kidnappers yesterday," Col. Mohammad Javad Asna Ashari, police spokesman in southeastern province of Sistan-Baluchistan, told IRNA. "Efforts for releasing her husband continue."
However, Belgian foreign ministry spokesman Francois Dumon said Tuesday both tourists were safe and in good health. It was unclear if the official meant they had both been released.