The top NATO commander in Afghanistan said Thursday his troops intercepted a weapons convoy coming from Iran last month containing sophisticated explosive devices and blamed the Iranian military for involvement in its shipment.
US Army Gen. Dan McNeill, the commander of NATO's 40,000-strong International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, said the convoy contained "a number of advance technology improvised explosive devices" and was intercepted on Sept. 5th in western Afghanistan.
"This weapons convoy clearly, geographically, originated in Iran," McNeill told reporters in Kabul.
"It is difficult for me to conceive that this convoy could have originated in Iran and come to Afghanistan, without at least the knowledge of the Iranian military," McNeill said.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>