US navy head: Iran strait 'keeps me awake at night'

Admiral Jonathan Greenert expresses concern over potential conflict if Iran follows through on threat to close Strait of Hormuz.

By REUTERS
January 10, 2012 21:53
2 minute read.
Iranian military in the Strait of Hormuz

Iranian military in the Strait of Hormuz 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Fars News/Hamed Jafarnejad)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

WASHINGTON - The chief of the US Navy acknowledged on Tuesday that preparing for a potential conflict in the Strait of Hormuz is the kind of thing he loses sleep over.

"If you ask me what keeps me awake at night, it's the Strait of Hormuz and the business going on in the Arabian Gulf," said Admiral Jonathan Greenert, who became the chief of naval operations in September.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
US forces rescue another six Iranian mariners
'US would take action if Iran closes Hormuz'

The comments by Greenert follow threats by Iran last month to shut off the Strait of Hormuz -- the world's most important oil shipping lane -- if new US and EU sanctions over its nuclear program halted Iranian oil exports.

The United States has said it would not allow Iran to block the Strait, calling it a "red line" for the US military. General Martin Dempsey, the top US military officer, said over the weekend said that would be a "intolerable act."

"Yes, they can block it ... But we would take action and reopen the Straits," Dempsey told a television talk show.

Greenert did not get into details about what steps the US Navy would take to re-open the Strait. But when asked what about the Strait kept him awake at night, he responded: "I'm an organizer, a trainer and equipper. I'd make sure that our people have the right equipment to do the right thing."

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"Our folks that transit in and around that area, I want to make sure that they're able to (deal) with the things that they need to deal with, basically self-protection, counter-swarm, ASW (anti-submarine warfare)," Greenert said.

Air Force Chief of Staff General Norton Schwartz told Reuters on Monday the Air Force would "clearly" play a role in potentially unblocking the Strait of Hormuz, if the United States took on that job.

He said the Air Force could ensure "either localized or broader air superiority," providing support to other US military assets and ensuring secure communications channels through satellites.

It would also play a key role in providing surveillance data from its satellites and aircraft.

Click here for full Jpost coverage of the 
Iranian threat

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB