Initial probe of Netanyahu launched, A-G confirms

In practical terms, now that the probe is confirmed it will function like a criminal investigation other than Netanyahu and others, if questioned, will not be questioned under caution.

By
July 10, 2016 21:49
1 minute read.
Avichai Mandelblit

Avichai Mandelblit and Netanyahu. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Attorney-General Avichai Mandelblit confirmed Sunday that he has ordered an initial probe of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of a wider unspecified investigation.

Mandelblit said he made the dramatic decision after reviewing, along with State Attorney Shai Nitzan, evidence from the police intelligence unit.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Though Mandelblit’s statement tried to underplay the gravitas of the announcement, the prime minister’s rivals have said a probe could mark the beginning of Netanyahu’s downfall.

Earlier Sunday, Channel 10 reported that Mandelblit and Nitzan were meeting to make decisions about an initial review of alleged money-laundering by Netanyahu.

A spokesman for the Netanyahus said: “As in all past instances when allegations were made with reference to the prime minister like a passing distraction, here, too, there will be nothing – because there is nothing.”

Allegations of a new major probe against Netanyahu, separate from the “Bibi Tours” and other previously known affairs, have been swirling around for several days. But no specifics have been confirmed.

Mandelblit’s statement slammed the media for misreporting the allegations against Netanyahu, but did not even hint at their true content. Rather, it only confirmed an initial probe and denied that a criminal investigation is in place.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The characterization was bizarre since it has been clear for some time that an initial review is under way; the next decision point will be to open a full criminal investigation.

In practical terms, now that the probe is confirmed, it will function like a criminal investigation.

But Netanyahu, if questioned, will not be questioned under caution.

Once a suspect is questioned under caution, the police aggressively try to get a confession and use any statements made to achieve a conviction later at trial.

However, under former attorney- general Yehuda Weinstein, criminal investigations for top ministers were often replaced with initial reviews to try to downplay expectations and reduce negative attention.

The procedure, whereby law enforcement gives extra privileges to the powerful that do not exist for regular citizens, has drawn heavy criticism.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

September 23, 2018
Hamas halts cease-fire talks, blames Abbas

By HAGAY HACOHEN