Firefighters use water to dilute ammonia leaking from a chemical plant.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
Israeli authorities in the western Galilee rushed nine people to hospital and instructed residents of a kibbutz to stay indoors after an ammonia leak was reported at a nearby factory late Tuesday.
The incident occurred in Kibbutz Eilon, a community that lies just one kilometer south of Israel's border with Lebanon.
Ten crews of firefighters and poison control experts were dispatched to a factory operated by Top Chef, a company that manufactures frozen foods.
Medical crews treated nine people, four of whom - two men and two women in their 20s - were inside the factory. After the four victims indicated that they had been exposed to ammonia, they were rushed to the emergency room at Western Galilee Hospital in Nahariya for further tests. They are currently listed in good condition.
Five other people at the scene were treated for anxiety and panic.
Emergency teams managed to stop the leak and conduct a reassessment of the situation.