Arab town declares general strike after police shoot knife-wielding man

22-year-old from Kafr Kana succumbs to gunfire wounds after police shot him during attempted knife attack.

November 8, 2014 08:47
1 minute read.

Israeli Police. (photo credit: ISRAEL POLICE)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Arab town of Kafr Kana in the Lower Galilee declared a general strike on Saturday morning following the death of a local man whom police shot after he apparently tried to attack them with a knife, Israel Radio reported.

Dozens of youth in the area were hurled stones at police forces while others torched tires as patrol vehicles were positioned at the town's entrances in attempt to prevent disturbances, according to the radio station.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The 22-year-old succumbed to his gunshot wounds Saturday morning after he was shot Fright night by police who said the young man had attempted to attack them with a knife in the town north of Nazareth.

Police said that when they arrived to arrest another person on suspicion of throwing a stun grenade, another man arrived wielding a knife and tried to stab the officers.

The  Nazareth Police at the scene initially fired into the air to warn the assailant. Police said that when the officers at the scene felt their lives were in danger they shot the suspect in his chest.

On Saturday morning, he died in a hospital from injuries sustained during the incident. 

Related Content

August 17, 2018
Netanyahu interrogated for four hours in Case 4000 media bribery probe