Liberman halts the return of terrorist bodies

Visiting the site of the attack before the meeting, Liberman promised a strong response. “Rest assured I have no intention of simply relying on strong words.”

By
June 9, 2016 18:31
1 minute read.
Avigdor Liberman

Yisrael Beytenu’s Avigdor Liberman . (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman halted the return of terrorist bodies to their families in response to Wednesday’s attack that claimed four lives.

His predecessor, Moshe Ya’alon, had opposed such a policy which had already been periodically put in place over the last seven months.

The IDF believes that it inflames tensions among Palestinians in the West Bank, rather than reduces them.

Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said he welcomed the news.

Liberman issued the order after a special cabinet meeting on Thursday, in which ministers also spoke of the need to speed up the time it took to demolish terrorist homes.

Ministers also heard a report on measures the IDF had already taken.

A closure was imposed on the South Hebron Hills village of Yatta, where the two terrorists had lived.


The IDF rescinded permits to work in Israel that had been given to all members of their immediate and extended families.

Visitor permits for 83,000 Palestinians in the West Bank to visit Israel during the Ramadan holiday were also rescinded.

The IDF said funds to close the gaps in the security barrier in the area of Tarkumia, near Hebron, had already been set aside and that work would begin soon.

It’s believed that the two terrorists left the West Bank through that area.

Until the gap in that area is closed, the IDF plans to post more soldiers in that area.

Visiting the site of the attack before the meeting, Liberman promised a strong response. “Rest assured I have no intention of simply relying on strong words.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Eish Kodesh
January 22, 2019
Court acquits Israeli accused of shooting at Palestinians

By YONAH JEREMY BOB