Netanyahu orders defense chiefs to push forward plans to demolish Palestinian terrorists' houses

Premier convened emergency meeting in his office late Sunday in Jerusalem hours after two terror attacks.

By
November 11, 2014 00:46
1 minute read.
Benjamin Netanyahu

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convenes defense chiefs in Jerusalem. (photo credit: HAIM ZACH/GPO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu late Monday night ordered the advancement of plans to demolish the homes of Palestinian terrorists in hopes of deterring further terror attacks.

He also placed more security forces in the field, according the Prime Minister’s Office.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Netanyahu issued these measures in the aftermath of two separate terrorist attacks by Palestinians from the West Bank.

Almog Shiloni, 20, of Modi’in was stabbed to death in Tel Aviv. Dalia Lamkus, 26, was stabbed to death just outside the Alon Shvuet settlement in the Gush Etzion Region of the West Bank.

On social media Palestinians declared the Knife Intifadah has begun.

Netanyahu, in response held an emergency meeting with Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon, Public Defense Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch, IDF Chief-of-Staff Lt.-Gen. Benny Gantz, Shin Bet Director Yoram Cohen, Israel Police Commissioner Insp.-Gen. Yohanan Danino and Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein.

He held similar consultations last week after a vehicular terrorist attack in which two Israeli were killed.



Earlier in the day he told his party's faction in the Knesset that Israel would withstand this latest wave of violence.

"The terrorism against us knows no borders. It is aimed at all parts of the country for a simple reason. The terrorists and those who incite to it want to get rid of us wherever we are. As far as they're concerned, we don't need to be in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem or anywhere else," he said at a Likud faction meeting.

"I'll promise you one thing: They won't succeed," Netanyahu stated.

US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki condemned the terror attacks in Israel.

"We strongly condemn the stabbings today. We deeply regret the loss of life. Our condolences go out to the families," she said.
Psaki also called on Israelis and Palestinians to show restraint.

Lahav Harkov and Khaled Abu Toameh contributed to this report.


Related Content

The International Criminal Court in The Hague
August 18, 2018
What does IDF closing Black Friday war crimes probe mean for ICC?

By YONAH JEREMY BOB