Thousands march in Kafr Kasim, urge government to recognize massacre

Included among the dead were 19 men, 6 women, and 23 children under the age of 18.

By
October 29, 2016 19:17
1 minute read.
Thousands march in Kafr Kasim

Thousands march in Kafr Kasim. (photo credit: JOINT LIST)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Some 4,000 people marched through Kafr Kasim on Saturday to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the massacre there by border policemen and to demand recognition of the state’s responsibility for the killing of 49 residents.

“Today we mark the horrible massacre that occurred in Kafr Kasim, in which 49 civilians were killed by the Border Police forces,” Joint List MK Ayman Odeh said on Saturday. “It is on the Israeli government to recognize the terrible massacre in Kafr Kasim and the historical crimes. Recognition not in the sense of ‘expressing sorrow and pain,’ but through the uprooting of the racist notions that led to the massacre at Kafr Kasim. Only recognition of all past crimes will pave the way for true equality,” he added.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The massacre occurred on October 29, 1956, when border policemen fired on people who were returning from work and were unaware that a curfew had been imposed on the town. The standing orders of the Border Police were to shoot anyone violating the curfew.

Among the dead were 19 men, six women and 23 children under the age of 18. Arab-Israelis usually cite 49 people as the death toll, as one of the victims was pregnant at the time of the massacre.

The officers who participated in the killing were placed on trial, found guilty and sentenced to prison, but were then granted pardons.

The brigade commander was sentenced to pay 10 prutot, the lowest denomination coin, as a symbolic fine.

In a statement on Saturday, MK Touma-Sliman said she would bring a bill to the Knesset this week to recognize the state’s responsibility for the massacre. “Sixty years have passed and the government’s militaristic mentality still dominates, and the government still treats us as enemies and not as members of this homeland,” she said.



Successive Israeli governments have condemned the massacre, yet fallen short of accepting responsibility.

In 2007, then-president Shimon Peres issued an apology for the massacre during a visit to the town, while President Reuven Rivlin called the massacre a “terrible crime” in 2014.

Among those present at the demonstration were Arab-Israeli community leaders and Joint List MKs Odeh, Aida Touma-Sliman, Ahmad Tibi and Dov Henin.

Ben Lynfield contributed to this report.

Related Content

MIGRANT WORKERS outside the central bus station in Tel Aviv.
August 19, 2018
Police arrest 83 suspects after Immigration Authority bribery scandal

By TAMARA ZIEVE