tene noga factory 298.
(photo credit: Channel 1)
At least 20 workers from the Tene-Noga ice cream factory in Be'er Tuvia near the southern town of Kiryat Malahi sustained various injuries Tuesday afternoon as the result of an ammonia leak in the factory.
One person was seriously injured and one was moderately injured, according to Israel Radio.
For a Jerusalem Online video of events click here
What's new on JPost.com
Ambulance crews were treating and evacuating the injured to hospital, while a bio-hazard prevention crew was removing the substance from the factory.
Ammonia is used for the manufacturing of fertilizer and medicine, as well as refrigeration, but is also a highly dangerous poison. In some instances, it can lead to death by causing a stoppage of breathing.
In related news, a recent Technion study showed that the ammonia storage container in Haifa Bay was open to attack during the barrage of Katyusha rockets over the summer, despite claims to the contrary by the Home Front Command.
According to the research, an ammonia leakage could have led to the deaths of thousands of civilians.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>